Chik peas(channa) – 2 cups
Onions – 2 small/ 1 large (finely chopped/ pureed)
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tblsp
Tomatoes – 2 medium (pureed)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Whole Garam Masala – (bay leaf – 1, cinnamon sticks – 2, Cloves – 2)
Red Chilly Powder – 2 tsp(or to taste)
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp (optional)
Amchur Powder(dry mango powder) – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tblsp
cilantro – for garnish
1. Soak the chik peas for 5-6 hours or overnight. Drain the soaking water.
2. Pressure cook the chik peas until they are tender (app. 2 cooker whistles). Overcooking will make it mushy.
3. Heat oil in a vessel over medium heat. Temper cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon.
4. Saute onions, stirring frequently, until they are translucent.
5. Add ginger- garlic paste, and saute until the raw smell vanishes.
6. Add the tomato puree, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, kasoori methi, amchur powder, turmeric powder and salt and saute until a thick paste is formed.
7. Now add the chik peas along with the water in which it was cooked and let it simmer for 7 minutes. (Water can be added as per the requirement).
8. Garnish with cilantro and finely chopped onions. Serve with chappattis or bread.