- Basmati rice soaked – 1 1/2 cups
- Onions diced – 2 medium
- Carrots 1/2 inch pieces – 2 medium
- French beans 1/2 inch pieces – 15
- Cauliflower – 10-12 florets
- Green peas shelled – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Green cardamons – 8
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 15
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
- Bay leaf – 1
- Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Rose water – 1/2 teaspoon
- Saffron (kesar) – a few strands
- Fresh tomato puree – 1 cup
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh mint leaves chopped – 2 tablespoons
Boil rice in four cups of salted boiling water with two green cardamoms, one black cardamom, five cloves, half inch stick of cinnamon, until three-fourth done.
Drain excess water and set aside.Heat a non-stick pan. Add the remaining green cardamoms, cloves, black cardamom and cinnamon along with bay leaf and caraway seeds and roast.
Add onions, carrot, French beans, cauliflower florets and green peas.
Sprinkle salt, cover and cook on medium heat for two minutes.
Add ginger-garlic paste mixed with a little water and stir. Cover and cook for two minutes.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and cook.
Whisk yogurt with rose water and saffron.
Add a little water or milk and whisk well. Add tomato puree to the vegetables along with half teaspoon garam masala powder and mix well. Simmer for two minutes.
Take a microwave safe deep bowl.
Arrange a layer of rice at the bottom.
Over that arrange half the cooked vegetables followed by another layer of rice.
Sprinkle half of the remaining garam masala powder,
half the coriander leaves, half the mint leaves and half the yogurt mixture.
Arrange the remaining vegetables followed by the remaining rice.
Sprinkle the remaining garam masala powder, remaining coriander leaves, remaining mint leaves and the remaining yogurt mixture.
Cover with a silicon lid and cook in the microwave oven for four to five minutes on HIGH (100%).
Let it stand for five minutes. Serve hot.